A non-bailable arrest warrant was issued against Chandrababu Naidu by a Maharashtra court with regard to his protests against the Babli project on the Godavari River.
Vijayawada: Responding to a non-bailable warrant issued against him by a Maharashtra court, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu said that he was not afraid as he did not commit any crime.
This, even as the ruling Telugu Desam Party (TDP) alleged that it was a conspiracy by the Union
government to target him.
“During my entire political career, I always worked for the people,” Naidu told a public meeting in
Kurnool on Friday. “I heard about the reports of the court case and the issuance of an arrest warrant
against me. I did not commit any crime. In the erstwhile undivided Andhra Pradesh, I protested against
Babli on Godavari River as it was a project within a project that would harm the interests of North
Telangana,” he was quoted as saying.
Judicial Magistrate First Class, Dharmabad Court (Nanded), NR Gajbhiye on Thursday issued the warrant
against Naidu and his Cabinet colleagues – Irrigation Minister DU Rao, Social Welfare Minister G
Kamalakar and 12 others – in a 2010 case pertaining to an agitation against the Babli Barrage on the
The police have been ordered to arrest them and present them before the court at the next hearing on
The incident took place when the TDP had organised massive protests against what it termed the “illegal
constructions” of the Babli Barrage project by the Maharashtra government allegedly to divert the
Godavari River water from Telangana region of the then undivided Andhra Pradesh.
At that time, Naidu, who was the Leader of Opposition in the state, along with 40 legislators, had
entered the barrage vicinity flouting prohibitory orders clamped there.
The police had caned some protesters and later arrested all of them.
Later, as Naidu refused to take bail, he was sent back to Hyderabad by a flight, and subsequently cases
were filed against all the agitators on various counts.
The TDP chief said he wanted to go to the Babli project site to lodge a protest as it would have
allegedly reduced north Telangana “to a desert”.
“Whether we are in power or in Opposition, we always fought for the people,” Naidu said.
Meanwhile, TDP MP Kesineni Nani told reporters in Vijayawada that the Central government is resorting
to a witch-hunt against the TDP chief for fighting against the injustice meted out to Andhra Pradesh.
Nani wondered how the warrants were issued when the Maharashtra Police had stated at that time that the
case is being closed.
Nani accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP President Amit Shah and YSR Congress president
Jaganmohan Reddy of being behind the conspiracy. The MP, however, said nobody can do anything to Naidu
as he enjoyed the people’s support.
Actor-turned-politician Shivaji also joined the chorus on Friday and said that a conspiracy was being
hatched against Naidu. He claimed that more notices would be issued to the TDP leader in the coming
Shivaji, who was earlier with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), had said last week that Naidu would
soon get the notice as the Central government is looking to target him under what he calls operation
However, BJP leaders in Andhra Pradesh denied that their party was behind the warrant against Naidu.
Naidu’s TDP pulled out of the BJP-led NDA in March this year. The party later moved a no trust motion
against the Narendra Modi government.